By Anlé Britz
How is it that we have a city called Cape Town?
Cape Town has trophy room that is filed with floor to ceiling with amazing awards that she has been polished since 2011. Not only does her name refer to the birth of civilisation in Southern Africa, but she stands tall in creating opportunities, a balanced lifestyle and growth since her founding in 1652.
In this month’s newsletter – The Local Edition, we would like to bring some attention to her recent awards. We live in such a beautiful city and we should celebrate our efforts in creating a space where our locals want to do better, live better and be better. Tourism is making such a great comeback despite The Big Pause and the scars it left in its tracks. And what better way to celebrate tan to point out our wins for the past year.
This year, Cape Town has graciously accepted the crown in bringing home five out of the sixty eight of the 2022 World Travel Awards in October.
1. The city is named Africa’s Leading City Destination of the year for the second year in a row
2. Cape Town International Airport is named Africa’s Leading Airport
3+4. The Silo Hotel took Africa’s Leading Design Hotel AND Africa’s Leading Luxury Hotel
5. Table Mountain is standing tall with Africa’s Leading Attraction for the fourth year in a row (competing with internationally and locally know attractions like Egypt’s Pyramids of Giza, Mount Kilimanjaro, the V&A Waterfront and Robben Island
SOUTH AFRICA AWARDS
Out of the twenty five South African awards, Cape Town is a home for:
1. South Africa’s Leading Business Hotel – The Westin
2. South Africa’s Leading Design Hotel AND South Africa’s Leading Luxury Hotel – The Silo Hotel
3. South Africa’s Leading Online Travel Agency 2022 – Lekkeslaap (Head Office in Cape Town)
4. South Africa’s Leading Luxury Tour Operator 2022 – Giltedge (Head Office in Cape Town)
5. South Africa’s Leading Resort 2022 – One&Only Cape Town
6. South Africa’s Leading Serviced Apartments 2022 – LawHill Luxury Apartments – Waterfront
7. South Africa’s Leading Tour Operator 2022 – Springbok Atlas Tours and Safaris (Head Office in Cape Town)
8. South Africa’s Leading Wine Region Hotel 2022 – Lanzerac Hotel & Spa
The Cape Town Tourism, Find Your Freedom campaign, invited all local and international explorers to experience Cape Town on various levels. The success of this campaign was celebrated with four bronze awards at the 10th annual Supersonic New Generation Awards.
1. Most Viral Campaign
2. Most Innovative Gamification Campaign
3. Best Use of Technical Innovation and
4. Best Revenue Generating Marketing Campaign or Event
And if you need some inspiration on what the locals voted for where to go, what to see and what to experince; KFM94.5 has awarded the Best of the Cape awards in August.
Check it out here
Time Out has named out Atlantic Seaboard suburb, Sea Point one of 51 of the coolest neighbourhoods in the world.
The Telegraph awarded Cape Town “Greatest City in the World to Visit Right Now” in March 2022.